Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 2/3 cup red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced capers
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed, liquid reserved
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) package dry ziti pasta
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
1. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until evenly brown.
2. Mix the red onion, garlic, and capers into the skillet, and cook until onion is tender. Mix in the mashed whole tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and red wine. Season with basil, parsley, oregano, red pepper, black pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
3. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place the ziti in the pot, cook 10 minutes(until al dente). Drain.
4. Serve the sauce mixture over the cooked pasta. Top with Romano cheese.